Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Seeking Sole Mates - Lost Sock Holder

This awesome idea is all over the internet right now.  One of the versions I liked best was from the de Jong Dream House.  This is the link to their Seeking Sole Mates Missing Sock Holder.

This is my version:


To make it, I bought a board at Lowes and asked the wonderful people there to cut off a two foot section for me.  Other than that, I just used some acrylic paint I already had (lavender and white), 7 wooden clothespins, tacky glue, duct tape, a ballpoint pen, paintbrush, and some yarn.  The total cost was only about $5 since I had most of the materials already around the house.

First I painted the board lavender (just the front and the edges), and while it was drying I played around with different fonts on my computer.  I just set my page settings to landscape and made sure that the text was large enough to span two pages.  The font I finally settled on was Mona Lisa Solid ITC TT.

After printing the pages, I laid them on top of my board and traced over the letters with a ballpoint pen.  I was writing on the paper (not the board), but by pressing down hard I left an indention on the board that I could fill in with some white paint and a small paintbrush.  I also painted my clothespins white.

I braided the yarn to make it a little chunkier, stretched it across the front of my board, and glued it to the back using tacky glue.  Then I put a piece of duct tape over the string in the back just for good measure (and to make sure the yarn doesn't snag on anything when I hang it on the wall.

The braided yarn has a little more stretch than other materials you could use (like a thin rope, twine, or wire).  So, when I started pinning socks to my board, the clothespins would flip down and the yarn would sag.  I didn't like that, but a dab of tacky glue between each clothespin solved the problem.



Now I just have to decide where to hang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment