Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How To Make a Science Center

I love hands-on science!  This is an "Investigation Station" I put together for a first grade class to use during their center time.  At this particular center, students explore the concept of stability as they build their own towers using (recycled) paper and tape.  The goal is for students to build the tallest tower they can that will stand for 30 seconds without falling.  They can cut, bend, fold, crumple, roll, and tape the paper- but they only have 10 sheets with which to work.  After designing, building, and making adjustments to their tower, students measure the height of their tower with a ruler and record the measurement in their science notebook along with a drawing of the tower.  Students also reflect in their notebooks about what makes a tower stable.


To make this center, I just cut a tri-fold board in half (to make 2 mini tri-folds) and used a yellow marker to make a quick waffle design to decorate the background.  You could also use a solid or simple pattern wrapping paper to wrap the board, as long as the design of the paper didn't distract from your content.  Personally, I just don't like how boards wrapped in paper get all poofed-out and crinkly in the creases.

I typed up my directions and printed them (unlike the stereotypical elementary school teacher who has beautiful handwriting with perfectly formed letters.... I'm better off typing if I expect anyone to understand what I'm trying to say).  Then I drew and printed some simple pictures to help make the activity more comprehensible for struggling readers.  It's so important for children to feel empowered and capable, and science can be a strength for students who might struggle in other areas, like reading.  If my intent is for children to be able to work at a station independently, I want to put in place whatever scaffolds are necessary to ensure that students of varying abilities can be successful.  I also left a book at the station for higher readers who might be interested in reading about famous towers around the world.

So that's it!  Once I had the idea, it only took about an hour to put the board together.  I'm thinking about doing another one, but I might use velcro this time to make it easier to change activities without having to create a whole new board.

No comments:

Post a Comment