Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Inferno



SPOILER ALERT: This past weekend I finished reading The Inferno by Dan Brown.  I really enjoyed it!  I love dystopian literature and I also love historical or realistic fiction based on controversial issues (one of the reasons I like Jodi Picoult so much).  This book is realistic fiction centered around the controversy  of overpopulation, and while I wouldn't call it dystopian literature, it does hint at what the future could be like if someone decided to take it into their own hands to prevent overpopulation.  I've heard Dan Brown's writing style criticized by quite a few people, but he does a much better job than I could- and I really enjoy his books.  I like how slowly he gives the reader information (although, as a result, I feel like I'm spoiling parts of the book by even saying this little bit about it) and I also like how your perception of characters changes throughout the story.  Many characters in this book seem to be on the wrong side of things, then the right side, and then the wrong side again (and vice versa).  It's also clear that he does his homework before he begins writing.  He gives so many details about where the story takes place that I feel like I could find my way around if I ever traveled to the setting of his story.  I've read some of his other books as well, and they always inspire me to want to read more about certain topics.  After reading this book, I definitely want to read Dante's Divine Comedy.

2016 Book Count: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment